(Facts, Recommendations, and commonly asked Questions about our engines.)
Is a delivery signature required?
Yes, all shipments valued over $300.00 require a signature at delivery.
What oil do you recommend?
Redline Racing Oil @ 40:1. It is by far the best oil we have found for our engines.
How long is your warranty on engines/ignitions?
3 years from the date of purchase for all engines and ignitions. This includes engines that change ownership. This does not cover; Shipping expenses to and from Desert Aircraft, Damage caused by improper handling, operation, modifications, or maintenance, Damage caused by a crash, Damage caused by using improper fuel or additives, Damage incurred during transit to Desert Aircraft.
What is your return policy?
Items can be returned in new/undamaged condition within 30 days of purchase. Again, pack the items carefully. After 30 days, returns will be subject to a 10% restocking fee. Please note; we recommend insuring any return items when you are shipping them. Desert Aircraft is not responsible for items damaged in shipping. The customer is responsible for making insurance claims with their carrier. All returns should have “Attention Returns” written somewhere on the box.
What are your business hours?
9am – 5pm Arizona time Monday – Friday (Arizona does not observe Daylight Savings Time). DA is closed New Years day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the day after, and Christmas day.
Where is the serial number located on my engine?
On all of our Single cylinder engines the serial # is located on the rear case directly below the cylinder head.
On all of our Twin cylinder engines the serial # is located on the rear case under the pilots view right cylinder head.
Do you give shop tours?
Yes, but by appointment only! We are more than happy to show you around our facility, but we need to make sure to schedule time for a staff member to do so.
Can you drill a prop/spinner backplate at your shop?
We do not drill props or backplates.
Do you service any other engines besides Desert Aircraft engines?
No, we only service Desert Aircraft products.
What is the turn around time for engine service?
Repair time can be from 1 day to a few weeks, with most engines taking between 5 and 7 business days. Engines are repaired in the order they arrive. Our workload increases during the summer flying season, increasing turnaround time.
Engine not starting: No Spark Tips/Before you call
*All testing requires a full flip (starting force) of the prop to generate spark. Rocking prop past sensor is not proper way to test.
- Check the batteries charge with a 1 amp load or try swapping batteries.
- Make sure the plug cap is fully seated. Never test the ignition without the ignition cap installed on the spark plug.
- Check and eliminate all kill switches including optical kill, adapters, or excess wiring. Even if you have tested the voltage readings it’s still best to eliminate these from the equation for test purposes.
- If you have a 6v battery or LiFe battery connect it directly to ignition bypassing all other switches.
- Snip connectors on battery and ignition side then wire directly, to eliminate the possibility of bad connectors.
- Inspect all wires and connectors, wiggle them, give them a tug at connectors to see if they pull out, and check for cut wires. Folding wires over can cause breaks, try using loops and Velcro to secure.
- If possible test with another ignition.
- Listen to box to see if there is an arcing/high pitch noise coming from it. Also check for a burnt smell.
- Check the ohms on the sensor. Needs a minimum of 169 ohms. (Orange & Brown wires)
- Check to see if the magnet or magnets are still installed in the prop hub.